Sunday, November 04, 2007

Remembering The Fabulous Moolah

Lillian Ellison, better known to you as The Fabulous Moolah, was one of a kind.

I have been very fortunate to have met and befriended many of the legends of wrestling that I watched growing up. It was a special honor to be able to say that Moolah was a friend.

In the 90's, I started going out to Las Vegas every year for Moolah's LIWA (Ladies International Wrestling Association) conventions. The LIWA was essentially a lady wrestler's reunion, with a banquet and awards and an all girl's show featuring many of the older girls. They were some of the best times I've ever had around wrestling, and Moolah was the ever-gracious hostess.

She loved wrestling more than anything apart from family, and if you loved wrestling and respected the girls, she loved you too and treated you like an extended family member.

She inspired me to promote women's wrestling and I will always be grateful for her insight into the business as well as her friendship.

I will follow this up with more historical insight at another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Fabulous Moolah was one of the best and orginal female wrestlers of all time. I found her to be an inspiration.
I remember when the WWE brought her back in 2001 and she fought against Ivory and she ended up being the woman's champ.