Sunday, September 14, 2008

Not-So-Random Thoughts

It's been a while since my last post, so it's catch up time.

The passing of Walter "Killer" Kowalski is truly the end of an era in New England wrestling. Apart from what Walter meant to wrestling as a worldwide star and one of the greatest ring villains ever, his legacy as a trainer in New England is carried on by the many companies in the area who use talent touched by his hand. The independent scene in New England would be a vastly different thing had there been no Killer Kowlaksi Institute of Professional Wrestling. There would certainly have been no NECW without it.

While my business dealings with Walter were not always what I would have hoped they would be, he was someone I loved, admired and respected.

The last time I saw him was at an autograph session we did in Wilmington to benefit Toys for Tots. I hugged him when I saw him and was glad I made that gesture. His friendship and kindness will never be forgotten and every time we ring the bell at an NECW event, I will be reminded that he was the foundation for what it has become.

On September 5, we did a great tribute to Walter on my radio show. You can listen to that broadcast, which featured Dory Funk, Jr., Frankie "Kaz" Kazarian from TNA, "Strangler" Steve King and "The Extreme Enforcer" Paul Richard by clicking here.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got some interesting feedback to my last post about fledgling "promoters."

I love it when someone with no experience in the wrestling business says, "But I have a different approach." That is usually code for "I am a know-it-all and don't want to pay my dues. I will just pay someone who has already paid them for me."

By the way, if you insist on taking the plunge, I am available as a consultant for a reasonable fee. Just joking there. My fee is actually unreasonable.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Several months ago, Dory Funk Jr. wrote in one of his online columns that the job of a professional wrestler is to draw money for the promotion he or she works for.

I wish more young talent would take that statement to heart.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This Saturday night, NECW has an extraordinary event lined up for the National Guard Armory in Quincy, MA. In addition to our regular crew, we will have 3 young stars from Australia who will be making their debut in NECW.

Madison and Jessie McKay will be opposite sides in a special World Women's Wrestling International Tag Team Challenge Match. Madison, is no stranger to this country as she used to work for Heartland Wrestling in Ohio a while back. This will be her first US appearance in 3 years as she teams with "The Portuguese Princess" Ariel, the World Women's Wrestling Champion, against former champion Lexxus and Jessie McKay, who makes her American debut in this match.

Aussie star, Ryan Eagles will take on our own self-proclaimed "Future Superstar" Ryan Matthews in another international challenge match. I believe this is Eagles' American debut as well.

NECW has had a history of giving opportunities to overseas talent. Among the international stars NECW has introduced or showcased over the years are Britain's Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, Jody Fleisch and Paul Tyrrell, Ireland's Fergal Devitt (now Prince Devitt in New Japan), as well as Japanese star, Sumie Sakai. You never know who you will be seeing in NECW today that will be making a global impact tomorrow.

For more details on Saturday's event and to get tickets, visit www.NECWwrestling.com.

1 comment:

Josh Ray said...

I hope you aren't suggesting that I am a know-it-all, haha. If I was one then I would have already attempted to put on a show instead of treading softly and (GASP!) building relationships and reasearching.

I have no desire to be a full time promoter. I'd like to help those that are already out there (specially the wrestlers) promote themselves.

You're right that wrestlers should try harder to help the promotion they work for be more successful, but many of them probably feel that they do enough for $50 (or less). That's just two cents from a guy that "takes a different approach".

Great post, as usual. That's why I subscribe.